Friday, February 25, 2011

Two wrong Lanes: Closed Encounters of the Lee Kind

After a long haul, it seems to me that it is some thing to share and save in Memoirs...
Although One of colleague has informed me about a conference, but i didn't paid any attention seeing title elearning.
It was only two days before when my neighbor alerted me about conference, next day when i saw list of speakers, very first name read Tim Berners Lee. Tim Berners Lee, creator of world wide web, man behind semantic web, is in riyadh and i am not going to listen him...such an ignorance..
With all extra zeal, i registered myself immediately OnLine.
Put full effort to arrange my classes with a bit of difficulty and bitterness, sought permission from Head of the Department, till night i was not pretty sure i would participate in the conference.
But after fajr salah my neighbors were ready to go and they convinced me also.
We strived very early, with four of my friends and me at my car for Hotel Faisaliyah, about 120 km from my home. we covered about 90-95 km distance with out any hurdle but when it came for taking turn for faisaliyah we were divided which way to go. Middle Lane was New Makkah Express Way and Right Lane was King Fahd Express Way; after consulting one of my friend and taking strong suggestion from our senior most fellow, i took King Fahd Express way. after covering few Kilometers, we found Express way was blocked for unknown reasons and cars were creeping. nothing could be changed now and we have to wait and watch only; i was cursing why not i opted another Express Way which was to me although a bit long but traffic free. it took our costly 2 hours to reach the place. after circulating premises several times finally i found a suitable parking for my car which took our another costly 20 minutes.
We rushed to the hotel and found several counter for registration and conference kit, in obvious hurry we queued in counter which was later discovered, meant for non-registered partcipants and all we were required to was just to scan our barcodes recieved in confirmation email at kiosks avialable there for online registered users.
after finishing all these formalities when i rushes to Grand hall, i saw T B Lee, leaving the dice, i rushed to him but at most closest i just cuaght a glance of noble scientist going towards hotel rooms...i was left still with extreme remorse, pondering why i took two wrong lanes.....

2 comments: